As we step slowly and cautiously out of this pandemic that has caused the entire world to press pause, it can feel so strange and uncertain to start living again, eating out, shopping in a real shop, hugging, all back to a more familiar way and for many, mental health has really suffered.
As someone who has spent most of my life in panic mode, a real life crisis like Covid was so shocking and frightening that it took many months of self care to gain back control of my emotions and use the time of lockdown in a more productive and balanced way.
One of the key aspects of getting back on track for me was getting good sleep and it has been proven how vital a good sleep routine is for our mental health.
It is so easy today to stay connected to our devises late into the night and to listen to the news or podcasts or a TV series avidly throughout our waking hours, but this leaves our minds with so little free time to rest, to heal, to calm down –
The NHS website says “ regular poor quality sleep can have a huge effect on your health, putting you at risk of developing serious medical conditions and can affect your body, thoughts, emotions and behaviour”
It is a known fact that if you don’t get enough sleep, it can lead to depression and to mental health problems, so here are my top tips for a good new sleep routine :
1. Keep to the same bedtime routine every night.
2. Create a nice relaxing sleep environment and a cool temperature in the room.
3. Make sure your bed is super comfy.
4. Exercise everyday even if it’s just a walk around the block, this will really help with stretching the muscles and prevent stiffness.
5. Cut down on caffeine after lunchtime and try a camomile / sleepy tea at night.
6. Don’t eat too much before you go to bed.
7. Take away the electrics and no watching your Ipad/Iphone in bed and charge somewhere far from the bed.
8. A bubble bath warm shower will help relax or a short yoga/ meditation for ten minutes will help aid relaxation.
9. Write your worries down or simply say them out loud to yourself – the think only positive thoughts and add some gratitude for all the amazing things in your life
10. Most important – wear some really soft and beautiful sleepwear – oh that will be Homebody!
Take care of yourself and thank you for following us - Beverley & Susie
Image via @lillice / tippy.fr